getting messy with monoprinting…

Pulling the monoprint © Mari French 2017

Pulling the monoprint © Mari French 2017

I’ve wanted to try monoprinting for some time. The one time I had a go (years back) I was not impressed (excuse the pun) but I think I’d used the wrong type of paper, plate and temperament! A monoprint (or monotype) is a unique print taken from a plate on which ink or (in my case) acrylic paint has been spread with rollers. Marks, textures impressed into the ink/paint and shaped masks (eg. paper) can all be used to create and enhance the final image.

Recently inspired by the beautiful and original monoprints of artist Tonie Rigby I decided to try using a gelli plate. These are very popular at the moment but I’ve not been taken by the proliferation of bright colours and patterns often produced. Gel plates can be a bit tricky to get used to and some artists dislike the texture, but apart from the shape (A4, I prefer square sizes, so may have to cut mine down) I quite liked the slight give of the gel.

Having been stunned by Tonie Rigby’s ‘Urban boxes’ work (see her blog link above), I wondered if I too could achieve something different, a progression of my current painting series maybe. If nothing else it would be interesting and hopefully, fun to try.

 

 

Well, today in the studio it was definitely interesting AND fun. I produced over a dozen bits of rubbish before I started loosening up and getting messy, employing more painterly techniques, which is when I work best. I used various acrylic paints and watercolour paper. As with my paintings I wanted to experiment – what would happen if I used this or tried that? …

I must admit I actually liked the look of inked up gel plate itself, perhaps because the transparent surface added another dimension. Today’s work was just the beginning, I’ve just started and have a way to go yet, but I’ll keep at it. Will post more of my monoprinting attempts at a later date.

 

up and running …

Here I am at last, captured in the lovely ‘new’ studio …

and ready for action.

It now has a good run of worktops and cupboards, some cracking drawer units from ikea (ideal for paper and prints) and a nice little space for a chair and my books where I can enjoy a brew.

We got the press up here today, since these were taken, so I can get practising on my collagraphs soon, hopefully!

20130304-173532.jpg

© Paul Campbell

20130304-173725.jpg

© Paul Campbell

Hayloft studio

© Paul Campbell

20130304-173837.jpgimage

You can see where we’ve covered up the interesting roof with dust sheets in an attempt to prevent any bits dropping from the roof space. It also helps the space to heat up a bit (via a calor gas heater).

It’s all a bit clean and uncluttered just now … but that won’t last long!

20130304-200850.jpg

© Paul Campbell

P1050199

Hayloft studio

© Paul Campbell

All the images in
this post courtesy
(and copyright) of
Paul Campbell.

progress report…

Readers of my last post will, I’m sure, be waiting with baited breath (haha) for the latest on the preparations for my new studio, so here is an update with photos, taken recently…

fitting out my art studio

Work surfaces and cupboards taking shape in the former hayloft… this is Paul, my handy hubby, doing his stuff (there isn’t much he can’t do really – he’s also a very talented artist photographer). By the way, I did the icky job of vacuuming up all the hundreds of ancient spiders webs before this stage!

image

below – a view of the precarious stairs – at least they’ve now got a proper handrail!

image

a view of the village from one of the studio windows.

image

this door (below) opens into fresh air, it was probably used for loading hay into the room, which is directly above old stables (unused now). Will be nice on those hot summer days I’m anticipating this year!

and finally, a pair of antique chairs in the old stable below caught my eye…

image

… and an old window also in the former stable below.

image